THIS BLOG WAS BORN WHILE WE AWAITED THE ARRIVAL OF OUR BEAUTIFUL BABY GIRL. IT HAS GROWN INTO A COLLECTION OF FAMILY MEMOIRS...

Search This Blog

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Ruinas Las Capuchinas

Here are some pics from our infamous trip to the ruins. In a nutshell I was expecting ruins as in "big pile of rubble" where my rowdy children could let loose. I wasn't expecting pristinely preserved 17th century architecture. It was absolutely beautiful, but I had not prepared my kids for museum behavior. Anyway, as they were bouncing off the crumbling walls I dropped the bajeemini out of my camera which seriously stressed me out because I love my camera so. As you'll notice most of the below pictures have a black shadow in one corner or the other. My poor camera. It really hasn't been the same since and it shudders when I turn it on, which can't be good.

They look so sweet and innocent in this picture.


This one, too.


Looking a little naughty.

Do you see the moon above the ruins? And, of course, the edge of the Earth in the top left hand corner? Just kidding.


They aren't sure what the purpose is for these "cells". There are 18 in total and they are arranged in a perfect circle with a common area in the middle. They think they may have been an isolation bay for contagious diseases. I thought they looked like little rooms each with there own private bathroom. I'm not kidding. Each room had a little niche in the wall where one could sit quite comfortably and take care of business. These "toilets" had an opening that entered the building's sewage system. Can you believe that? Amazing.


View from one of the "suites" overlooking the perfectly manicured garden.


I look just like my mom in this picture. I can so remember her cooing at her babies (she has six) and making that exact face.


They were playing Power Rangers...Rescue!!


It's amazing how pictures can make any adventure look twice as fun as it was.


And then just a few hours later Soli came down with rotavirus. Poor girl. We went through a lot of towels...

1 comment:

StarfishMom said...

Heather, When you have the time...could you make up a timeline for Soli's adoption? I found your link through Shana's blog and it seems that in your archives you make mention of the process often. If there's any way you could give a more accurate timeline in one post (or email) I would love to get a better idea of the length of time it takes (generally) to adopt from Guatemala as my husband and I are considering adopting from there as well. hut31999@aol.com
Thanks ~ Cynthia