THIS BLOG WAS BORN WHILE WE AWAITED THE ARRIVAL OF OUR BEAUTIFUL BABY GIRL. IT HAS GROWN INTO A COLLECTION OF FAMILY MEMOIRS...

Search This Blog

Friday, April 17, 2009

You May Remember...

...my dear friend Ellen from this post about the day that Dave and I met.  Ellen and I traveled to Guatemala together after meeting at language school and traveling all over Costa Rica. Well, Ellen sent me an email in February asking if I wanted to go to Peru with her to check out Machu Picchu and travel through Latin America like old times. I wrote back and said, "Yes, I do and thanks for asking. What are the dates?" As it turns out the dates were perfect and I chanced upon a screamin' deal from San Francisco to Lima for $425.  Dave gave me the green light and just like that, I'm going to Peru...leaving the day after tomorrow (Sunday). 

You really just can't pass up that kind of awesome opportunity...right??

This is what I've been trying to convince myself of for the last 3 weeks as I stare at the ceiling, not able to sleep, thinking to myself, "You have four kids! You can't go traipsing haphazardly around South America like you're 19 again! What are you thinking?!" Oh dear. 

We'll be flying on three small planes during the week and the thought of small aircraft in the Andean updrafts of South America has me a little sweaty (to say the least).  I actually came to the cheerful realization that if something happens to me at least Dave will be able to raise the kids. Honestly! Isn't that morbid? But, I was actually able to sleep after that. Uggh. The things we put ourselves through. 

Anyway, please send thoughts of safe travels my way over the next week or so. And maybe you can throw in a couple for Dave as he juggles lunches and laundry and baseball, oh my!

Check back for pics next week. 


6 comments:

Angie said...

What fun. WIll keep you and your family in my prayers. Can't wait to hear of your adventures when you get back....

Owlhaven said...

Heather-- Have an awesome time!! I'm sure everyone will be fine.

I am planning a trip to Korea with 3 of my kids in June, and am so much looking forward to it!! I LOOOOOVE traveling!

Hugs,

Mary

lawtrix said...

I wish you an amazing - and safe - trip!

Carol said...

Have a fantastic time, Heather! I understand how you're feeling. I only went to California one year for a week and I was a mess about leaving. I'm sure it will be a wonderful trip and the time apart will make everyone more fond of each other!

Jean said...

Wow! What a terrific opportunity, and your "morbid" thoughts are oh so familiar to me. I'm sending you golden envelopes to help the planes fly you there and back home safely. Buen viajes!!
Love,
Jean

Chad and Carrie said...

Wow! Have a wonderful time!
We will think of you and your family as we travel back to Guatemala this week and occupy little casita, numero "once"!!
Lots of love!
Chad and Carrie and kiddos!